A Touch of the Poet first opened at the Helen Hayes Theatre on October 2, 1958 and ran through June 13, 1959 for a total of 284 performances. It was one of Eugene O'Neill's last plays.
A Touch of the PoetEdit
- Cornelius (a.k.a. Con) Melody, once a landed gentleman in Ireland, is now an innkeeper in America who has fallen upon hard times. He lives in the past, strutting like a peacock in his army officer's uniform from 20 years before, playing the part of the nobleman and treating his wife Nora and daughter Sara with contempt and derision—all to puff up his own sense of pride and importance. When the arrival of a mysterious lady and her son threatens to destroy Con's grand illusion, he makes one last attempt to defend his honor, resulting in a drunken brawl and utter humiliation. Finally forced to confront his true self, Con learns to accept who he really is. Or does he?"
- 1967 - ANTA Playhouse
- Official run was May 2, 1967 - May 13, 1967.
- 1977 - Helen Hayes Theatre
- Official run was Dec. 28, 1977 - April 30, 1978.
- Cast: Geraldine Fitzgerald, Milo O'Shea, Kathryn Walker, Jason Robards.
- 2005 - Studio 54
- Official run was Dec. 8, 2005 - Jan. 29, 2006.
- Cast: Gabriel Byrne, Emily Bergl, Dearbhla Molloy, Byron Jennings, Kathryn Meisle, John Horton.
- 2008 - 14th Street Theatre
- Official run was Dec. 7, 2008 - Dec. 20, 2008. Official website.
- Cast: Daniel J. Travanti, Ellen Crawford, Steven Boyer, Richard Crawford, Tessa Klein, Antoinette La Vecchia, Peter Rogan, Timothy Smallwood, Ian Stuart, Richard B. Watson.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.